Components of IoT - A Life Changing Experience
What is Internet of Things?
Internet of Things (IoT) is the network of physical objects and machines connected to a computerized network and embedded with sensors to enable them collect and analyze and also exchange data.They are further connected through networks to computing systems, giving an information system the ability to capture, analyze and communicate data. IoT goes on to enable businesses benefit in areas of innovation, distribution and communication and the common man with smart homes, intelligent gadgets, smart cars, means of communication. It has been estimated that in the next 5 years over 50 billion devices will go online and will make life easier for people. Everyday living and making a living stand to benefit immensely with the evolving technology of Internet of Things. It is a technology which will change the face of the world and how the universe interacts.
What are the components of IoT?
Cognizant, one of the biggest names working on the he major components of Internet of Things, has enlisted the below as crucial ones :
- Sensors: Sensors are electronic devices that produce electrical, optical or digital data derived from a physical condition or event. The data thus produced is electronically transformed by another device into an output of information which helps in decision making by intelligent devices and people.
- Networks: Signals assimilated by sensors are transmitted over networks with all the different components of a typical network including routers, bridges in different topologies, including LAN, MAN and WAN. Connecting the different parts of networks to the sensors can be done by different technologies including Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Low Power Wi-Fi , Wi-Max, regular Ethernet , Long Term Evolution (LTE) and the recent promising technology of Li-Fi (using light as a medium of communication between the different parts of a typical network including sensors).
- Standards: Data is available, it has to be aggregated and analyzed for effective usage of the technology and decide the action of the device. That is done through standards followed to get the best desired results. In case of the standards not followed, the final outcome can get adversely affected.
- Intelligent analysis: Data is aggregated and then there is need for analysis. This is done though various standardized analytic procedures. A very important part of the whole process.
- Intelligent actions: Last stage is the intelligent action, which is the goal of IoT. If the action is not as desired, the purpose fails. This is the component which is the result of all other components.
Companies involved with the research and development of Internet of Things (IoT) are working on a fine evolution of IoT. The course of the world is waiting to be changed . But they need to be vary and cautious about the security and privacy concerns, ethical usage of the technology and the world good.